Yesterday, we have uploaded the PDF versions of two more new chapters for The Network Documentation Workbook. This concludes the new chapters for the Network Migration Workbook. If you are not a book owner, you can get the original book and access to all updates by purchasing the Network Migration Workbook. See http://www.networkmigrationworkbook.com.
Here's the latest.
Chapter 12 is SBS Essentials: New Installations and Migrations. It gives an intro to SBS Essentials and where the product fits in with your solution stack and cloud migrations. We also cover the sales process for SBS Essentials and designing simple environments. Finally, we present a two-part Technology Roadmap Questionnaire for evaluating prospects who might be right for an SBS Essentials migration.
Chapter 13 is Checklists for SBS Essentials Environments.
Checklists include . . .
- Preparing the Network for the SBS Essentials Installation
- Installing SBS Essentials in a Non-Domain Environment
- Setting up SBS Essentials on a 1-10 Person Simple Domain
- Connecting a Computer to an SBS Essentials Server Network
- Connecting a Computer to SBS Essentials Using Profwiz
We conclude with some final thoughts on where SBS Essentials fits in your evolving business.
- - - - -
This concludes the new chapters for the 2nd Edition of The Network Migration Workbook! The Big Checklist is updated and has been online for download for a long time.
There will be a new Foreword and some additional minor changes to the original book chapters, and we will post all that when finished.
These chapters are in draft format, so the final version may be a bit different. But at least 99% of the final product is here.
Registered book owners can download these files for free in the member download area at Zerodowntimemigration.com.
- - - - -
Here's a recap of the new chapters.
Section Introduction VI: Cloud and Other Non-SBS Migrations
Chapter 9 is Cloud Strategies, Cloud Migrations, and Hybrid Solutions. It covers, very briefly, some cloud-based options, and then gets right into materials that's relevant in the SMB space. We introduce the "Server Lite" concept and discuss how we implement it in our business. We describe the process of combining on site storage and active directory with cloud-based services.
Chapter 10 is an Example Checklist for Migrating to Cloud Services. These include web services, Microsoft Exchange, spam filtering, and storage or backup. Of course our goal is to achieve this with zero downtime.
Chapter 11 is Migrating to Microsoft Foundation Server. It introduces the Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation or "Foundation Server." We love to install Foundation server as a Server Lite at clients who need only a few services on site. The interesting thing about foundation server is that you can complete the migration much more easily than SBS, even though you need to run a few tools to expand the active directory schema and transfer the FSMO roles. We describe how to do all that in a detailed checklist.
Section Introduction VII. SBS 2011 Essentials
Chapter 12 and 13 descriptions above.
Members may download these files for free in the member download area at http://www.zerodowntimemigration.com/members-area/member-files.html
To find out more, visit http://www.zerodowntimemigration.com
Note that the following files are available to registered book owners:
2011 and 2012 additions:
- 2011 Network Migration Project Binder Tabs in Word format
- SBS 2011 Network Migration Project Template 2011.09.01 in Word format
- Chapter 9 - Cloud Strategies, Cloud Migrations, and Hybrid Solutions
- Chapter 10 - an Example Checklist for Migrating to Cloud Services
- Chapter 11 - Migrating to Microsoft Foundation Server
- Chapter 12 - SBS Essentials
- Chapter 13 - Checklists for SBS Essentials Environments
Older files (2009-2010):
- The Network Migration Workbook in PDF format
- Cost of Labor Calculator in Excel format
- Request for Quote in Excel format
- Network Migration Project Binder Tabs in Word format
- Existing Network in Visio format
- Proposed Network in Visio format
- Network Map (Plain Vanilla Client) in Visio format
- SBS 2003 Network Migration Project Template in Word format
- SBS 2008 Network Migration Project Template in Word format
- SBS 2003 Post Install PowerPoint
- SBS 2003 Preview PowerPoint
In addition, several of these files are available in .zip format to save space.